The land was purchased by Alexander Lindsay Glen, a native of Scotland, from the Mohawk people in the 17th century. Glen named his estate Scotia (Latin for “Scotland”) after his home country.Scotia was the location of a military encampment during both the French and Indian War of 1754 and again during the War of 1812. During the 1800s, Scotia was known for its production of brooms, over 1 million annually for a time. In the 20th century, Scotia became a thriving bedroom community for employees of Schenectady employers such as General Electric. During World War II the Scotia Naval Supply Depot (1942-1971) employed over 2000 workers.
- Glen Sanders Mansion, parts dating to 1713
- Abraham Glen House, 1730s
- Flint House, early 19th century
- First Baptist Church, 1872
- Holland House (W.T. Mynderse mansion), built 1914
- Scotia Reformed Church, founded 1818, present building 1952.
- The United States Post Office, built 1940, contains a historical mural, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.