Village Board Nov-Dec 1918
[Items related to the end of the war (World War I) are in bold.]
Bid open and then issued to LeRoy Wood (Treasurer of Village) for $2500 bond for Drainage & Sewers.
Various items related to short-term borrowing from Schenectady Trust Co.
To be included in 1919 tax levy: $333.13 to Schenectady County for repair and maintenance of 22209 sq. yds. of State Highway within the village in 1919.
Supt. of Sewers to construct a wire fence around that portion of the village disposal plant on the bank of the creek of the lake which might be considered dangerous if unprotected and to have such portion of the property posted with signs reading as follows; “Dangerous Place” “No Trespassing”.
Mr. Lasher and Mr. Schuler to be appointed a committee to look into the matter of matching the sorrel horse belonging to the village.
A delegation from the Fire Department appeared before the board and on being given the privilege of the floor announced that they had received a request from the Board of Trustees asking them to submit additional names, not less than three, of persons who would be satisfactory to them as a fire commissioner of the village in place of Harry Van Epps who has resigned from said office. After some explanatory remarks by the members of the Board and discussion by several members of the delegation, the delegation refused to submit additional names and informed the Board that they had submitted the name of Christian Herbock [original typing not legible—the o, e, and c all clogged up, as those who have used a typewriter will remember all too well!] who was the choice of a committee appointed by the Department to make a selection and that the Board could take him or leave him as they saw fit.
Payroll and bills approved.
Mr. Cassius F Bartholomew is appointed a trustee for the balance of the official year ending Mar. 24, 1919, after the resignation of Fred L Sturdy.
Mr. Bartholomew appeared, took the oath, and assumed his duties.
Arthur Hommel [again, typing not clear in original] is to be appointed Fire Commissioner to fill the unexpired term of Harry Van Epps, who resigned, term expires on the Monday following the 3rd Tuesday in March 1921.
Sylvester Cornell petitioned to construct a sanitary sewer from Ballston & Fifth, through 5th Street 50 feet to his house. Granted if constructed at no expense to the village and inspected 30 days after completion.
Schenectady Illuminating Co. agreement to light village streets for 5 years appears satisfactory.
Payroll and bills approved.
The Village Clerk will purchase one additional section for the bookcase in the Clerk’s office.
Four 4-in-one light fixtures #8200, flemish old brass finish, to be installed in the rooms of the Neptune Engine Company, not to exceed $100.
At this time the matter of a celebration in honor of the returning soldiers and sailors of our Village was taken up and discussed by a delegation of citizens who appeared at this meeting pursuant to the request of the Board of Trustees, and the following resolution was unanimously adopted.
Moved by S.R. Boucher, seconded by George Dutcher, that a committee be appointed to take charge of the celebration in honor of our returning soldiers and sailors and that said committee be composed of all present, and past Presidents and Trustees of the Village, and five additional persons from each church of the Village.
Payroll and bills approved.
Moved by Potter seconded by Schuler that the Village Clerk be directed to purchase one hundred fifty certificates of appreciation of service to be issued to the boys and girls of our Village as they return from the service of our country and ten Gold Star certificates to be issued to the families of those who died in the service and that the cost of such certificates be charged against the special war contingent fund.
Payroll and bills approved.
Resolution pertaining to Sewer Bonds approved.
Scotia is a stop on the Mohawk Towpath Byway! While you may not be strolling by the sign on Schonowee Ave. in this winter weather, you can listen to the narrative by calling the number on the sign and keying in our stop (#16). Also check out their website: mohawktowpath.org.
Not too often lately that Thanksgiving has snow and bitter cold. At least the sun came out after I took this picture.
Had a beautiful sunny day over the weekend to finish the Flint House harvest of flax. The tree put on a great show, and the wind was fierce.
Broomcorn all harvested—and combed and stacked to dry—
Planned to harvest flax as well, but it is still blooming and not ready yet.
A Taste of Change: Handwritten Cookbooks and the Stories They Tell Us, a program by Peter G. Rose, will be presented on Saturday, October 20 at 1:30 p.m. at the First Reformed Church of Scotia.
Hand-written cookbooks tell us a lot more than just how a dish is made; they are also documents of social and family history, showing us how a culture was retained over generations with continuing customs and celebrations.
Using Dutch and New Netherland customs and food history as examples, culinary historian Peter G. Rose will discuss a variety of such recipe/scrap books, dating from the late 1600s to the 20th century. Photographs of pages in cookbooks as well as paintings of the 1600s will illustrate the talk.
One of the cookbooks Ms. Rose found in her research is that of Maria (Sanders) Van Rensselaer, which is in the collection of Cherry Hill in Albany. Maria was the niece of John Sanders, whose wife Deborah Glen (1721-1786) was the last Glen to live in the house that is Scotia’s Glen-Sanders Mansion; one of her cookies will be on the menu for the event.
These ideas can apply to cookbooks of other groups as well. The audience is encouraged to bring old family or community cookbooks to share and discuss after the talk.
Following the program guests can sample a selection of Dutch desserts, with most of the recipesfrom these old cookbooks.
The talk is free, with a suggested donation for the food and beverages.
This program is supported by a Humanities New York Quick Grant, the Village of Scotia, and the First Reformed Church of Scotia.
See www.villageofscotia.org for any updates.
Since this is the 360th anniversary of Alexander Lindsey Glen’s settlement on the north shore of the Mohawk, and the 200th anniversary of the founding of the First Reformed Church of Scotia, it is a perfect time to consider our early Dutch heritage and its continuation into the English colonial period.
The First Reformed Church of Scotia is at 224 N. Ballston Ave., Scotia NY.
”Tales of Collins Lake” has been moved to the First Reformed Church of Scotia on N. Ballston Ave. But it’s still at 1:30 this Sunday, the 14th—hope to see you there!
Come outdoors on Sunday, October 14, to enjoy Tales of Collins Lake, a program of stories with Dr. Carl George, at the Lions Pavilion in Collins Park at 1:30 p.m.
Dr. George will draw from the treasure trove of Collins Lake stories he has collected during his many years of research. There are myths, legends, and true stories; tales of birds, fish, and water chestnuts; the natural history of geology, glaciers, and dredging; the human stories of farms, fishing, ice harvesting, and archaeology. Dr. George is Professor of Biology, Emeritus, at Union College.
Even if you know a lot about the lake there will be something surprising. Be sure to bring your questions!
It was 360 years ago when Alexander Lindsey Glen built his house on the north side of the Mohawk, calling the place Scotia after his native Scotland, and the written history of this lake begins. But its unwritten history has also been told by the archaeology and research done by many professors and students, particularly from Union College. The Collins Lake story starts with the ice age, and much has been learned about how nature has shaped the lake and about the plants and animals that are at home here. The stories also include how humans have impacted the lake and the surrounding areas that have become Collins Park.
The program will be held rain or shine.
The Lions Pavilion is at the eastern entrance to Collins Park on Kiwanis Way. Parking right at the Pavilion is limited, but there is more just past the venue.
This is a Village of Scotia Event, presented by the Village Historian and the Scotia Parks Department.
The Musicians of Ma’alwyck will be playing selections from all centuries of Scotia’s history, tomorrow at 1:30 at the Flint House.
From Purcell and Dowland to Mozart and “Alexander’s Ragtime Band,” there will be something for everyone.
For this concert the musicians will be Ann-Marie Barker Schwartz, director & violin; Norman Thibodeau, flute; Sten Isachsen, guitar; and Max Caplin, keyboard.
Come earlier for tours, ice cream, and beer!
The Fall Festival runs from 11 to 3.
SCCC Kids Archaeology Camp in July found the foundation corners of the old back extension at the Flint House. Learn more at the Fall Festival on Sunday.