From the Clippings Collection 3

Coming across this photo from 1973-74 suggested a pleasant summer walk to see what happened to the plaques when the bridge was renovated in 2012-13. I found them rather subtly placed on the south side of the bridge.

One Hundred Years Ago at the Village Board, May-June, 1919

One Hundred Years Ago at the Village Board, May-June, 1919

May 5
Hearing on Second St. sidewalk petition opened. There were no speakers; hearing closed. Previous petition granted for a cement sidewalk on the north side of Second St. between Root and Sacandaga, 4 feet in width and 3 feet from the curb, in accordance with all Village regulations about sidewalks. To be constructed at the expense of the property owners and completed by July 1, 1919.
The Street Committee has requested a gravel loading and screening outfit with 4 compartments of 20-ton capacity plus motors, not to exceed $1150. President authorized to purchase it.
Petition from the owners of more than half the properties on Fourth St., between Huston and Sacandaga, for cement sidewalk on both sides. The whole expense will be assessed to the adjoining land. Hearing to be held May 19.
Street Committee and Village Engineer to determine the method and probable cost of draining First St.; the cost of an additional catch basin at Hawk & Mohawk; and repairs of the catch basin at Mohawk & Ballston.
Street Committee to do grading on Fourth St. in the next 2 weeks to determine how much needs to be done and the cost.
Street Committee to provide a suitable guard rail to protect the approaches to the bridge at the Collins Lake outlet.
Building Committee to take the buildings removed from the sewer disposal plant and reconstruct on village property at the water tower, by day work not to exceed $250.
Payroll and bills approved.

May 19
Street Commissioner shall grade Fourth St. as much as possible with village teams and laborers, not to exceed $500.
Outlet to catch basin at Mohawk & Ballston to be repaired.
New catch basin and manhole to be constructed on Mohawk Ave. surface sewer at or near the corner of Hawk St., not to exceed $250.
Hearing on Fourth St. sidewalk; no opposition, four persons spoke in favor. Petition granted; to be 4.5 feet wide, 3 feet from curb, follow all other Village regulations, and be completed by August 1.
Discussion of Street Fund financial items.
Letter from the University of the State of New York relative to wooden shelves in the Village vault in the cellar of Village Hall; referred to the Building Committee.
Pay George Plantz for completing painting the Village water tower.
Building Committee to expend an additional $150 for reconstructing and painting the buildings on water tower property.
W. W. Miller and the sewer committee recommends digging and backfilling of ditches for the sewer in Wallace, Fifth, and Fourth streets be let by contract. President to enter into a contract with Joseph Rondazzo for the work.
Great Western Gateway—a bill approving its erection has been signed by the governor and is now a law.
Read a notice from the State Board of Tax Commissioners, Village Attorney to follow up.
Payroll and bills approved.

June 2
Schenectady Co-operative Realty Co. requested reimbursement for the sewer they constructed in Glen Ave.
Residents of Vley Rd. presented a petition signed by 45 persons to ask that cinders be removed from the street. There was “considerable discussion.” Cinders will be removed, not to exceed $100.
Street Commissioner to sprinkle Glen Ave. and other streets as he is able and keep sprinklers busy until further notice, and hire an extra team for this purpose.
The Light Committee is authorized to purchase 25 signs for use on corners of main streets.
The Building Committee will dispose of part of a building now at the water tower property at the best price obtainable.
Financial matters about borrowing money.
The Sewer Committee will construct 188 feet of sanitary sewer in Reynolds St., from Glen Ave. south to the property of F.R. Lindsey, as long as it doesn’t exceed the appropriation of $900.
President to purchase a new sign at the entrance to the village at the Mohawk River Bridge [now the end of Schonowee Ave.] at a cost not to exceed $24.60. The Light Committee to put up a new 40 C.P. street lamp over the sign and to move the present 80 C.P. light near that place and put it also over the sign, using a 40 C.P. bulb so the total light is still 80 C.P.
Payroll and bills approved.

June 16
The tax levy for 1919 is $1.80 per $100 of value, for a total of $42, 469.06.
Report from the Village Treasurer about the overdue street assessments, entered in the minutes and will be added to the tax levy.
Street bond business discussed.
Clerk to purchase 24 each of curb cocks and curb boxes, not to exceed $75. [This controls the water into a building, so it can be shut off in an emergency.]
Street Committee to purchase 16 signs announcing the Village Parking Ordinance, not to exceed $37.50.
Street Committee to have door and runway at the rear of Village Hall changed to give the horses a safe means of entrance and exit, $100.
Street Committee to dispose of old road scraper at the best price obtainable.
Frank E. Haselo appointed Village Policeman for the year ending Mar. 22, 1920; he will receive certificate after he qualifies.
Payroll and bills approved.

From the Clippings Collection 2

[Neil B. Reynolds was the Scotia Historian from 1946-1959. He wrote columns that appeared in the Scotia Journal. He also published articles in the Schenectady Gazette, collected in the book Raw materials of history chosen from sources in the Schenectady County Historical Society: essays related to historic Schenectady and Scotia published in the Schenectady Gazette 1959-1972 by Neil B. Reynolds ; edited by Elizabeth K. Joyce. It is available at the Schenectady County Public Library.]

Transcription of this article is below the photo.

Streets, Roads, and Paths in Scotia
Neil B. Reynolds in The Scotia Journal, March 23, 1939

If the residents of Sunnyside Road ever encounter ghosts in their back yards they will probably not be the ghosts of Mohawk Indians or pioneer Dutchmen. They are much more likely to be the ghosts of horses and cows. For this sandy tract was long a sort of animal Tyburn—the place of execution and burial of aged and ailing cattle.

Cows fall sick; horses break their legs and have to be destroyed. And with close to a hundred cattle in the big Sanders barn, and more in the Collins and Wilson barns on Ballston Avenue, executions were frequent. Nor was too much trouble taken with burying the carcasses, for there was a steady cash market for old bones. There was brisk competition among the boys of Scotia for the skeletons—so brisk that they did not always wait for wind and weather to do their full work. And fastidious villagers preferred to keep to windward of the youthful scavengers as they dragged their loot to the boneyard. Not too savory a beginning for what was to become Scotia’s most select residential street!

This street is, and yet is not, one of the early Glenville highways. There has been a road running east toward the Alplaus and Vischer’s Ferry for probably considerably more than a century. But up until the time the Mynderse family bought the land back of the Reformed Church, the road turned off Ballston Avenue just beyond the cemetery, about where the Mynderse gateway is today. Bevis Street is its continuation to Vley Road. And this original road skirted the edge of the high bank overlooking Sanders Lake [now Collins Lake] and the Mohawk flats. Not until about 1900 was the road shifted to the north to make room for building sites between it and the lake bank.

Street planning was not a strong point with the early real estate speculators who plotted streets and laid out building lots in Scotia. There is a disconcerting jog where Second Street intersects Huston Street; another where First crosses Vley Road; Fifth Street and Holmes Street fail to make connections at Sacandaga; and where the streets south of Glen Avenue cross Reynolds Street, they are all offset. Division Street puts a kink in the streets between Glen and Charles, and Lark Street has trouble finding its way across Holmes.

A glance at an old property map would explain most of the inconsistencies. Each area was plotted by a different speculator. He bought a field or part of a farm and laid out streets so as to get the maximum number of lots to sell. And he paid little or no attention to how his streets would match with those of an adjoining plot. In one case, Charles Street, only by cutting crosslots did the two ends of the street make connection at all.

For years Catherine Street and James Street were dead-end. Starting out as westward extensions of Scotia, they found themselves blocked by the backyards of Center Street, which belonged to Reeseville. And it was not until a few years ago, long after the name of Reeseville was forgotten, that the last of these old barriers between the two hamlets was broken down by the extension of James Street.

Scotia’s growth, at times, has resembled that of a boom town. The lots on Glen Avenue between Ten Broeck and Ballston were sold at an auction, which opened on Thanksgiving Day, 1890. A picture taken a little later shows a single half-finished house standing alone in the open, with cornfields all around, and the Van Huysen house, on the corner of Mohawk and Ten Broeck, just completed and the most westerly building in Scotia. Other auctions were held, often with the extra inducements of barbecues and band concerts. Yet when Wyman, who had bought part of the Reese farm east of Reynolds Street, cut it up into building lots and offered it for sale, people called him crazy.

The irregularity of Scotia’s streets, if they confuse strangers, still add a touch of the picturesque. But if some of the short-cuts used by the children of 25 years ago had developed into permanent streets, Scotia’s street map would now have been as wayward as Boston’s.

What follows is the route traveled by the writer on his way to the Lincoln School, then newly built among the goldenrod fields and sandburs on Fifth Street: Two-thirds of the way up Sanders Avenue from Ballston, diagonally across vacant lots to Ten Broeck, up this past the Fire Station, across lots where the Ten Broeck Apartments stand, as far as the dead end of James Street, diagonally across several fields to the corner of Center and Catherine, through the grounds of the High School (now Junior High), leap-frog over a range boiler set in the ground on Second Street, in icy weather a long standing slide down the hill to Third Street, and then straight as the crow flies over vacant lots to the door of the School. This path was worn deep and pounded hard as an Indian trail, and the long-suffering soul who lived along it had to endure the noise-equivalent of an Indian raid four times a day. [Kids went home for lunch every day.]

If some archaeologist of the future should discover in Scotia a trail of hard-packed earth, and scattered on both sides of it a fringe of marbles, beads, buttons, “jacks,” pennies, and rusted pocket knives, he might be excused for thinking he had found an Iroquois trail and fragments of the trade goods with which the whites bartered for beaver pelts. But it would be only the trail of a generation of Scotia school children, marked with the losses from a hundred pockets and pencil boxes.

[The Lincoln School we have today was built in the early 1950s; the Lincoln School Mr. Reynolds talks about above was built in 1910 and then torn down in the late 1970s and replaced with today’s Holyrood House.]

Photo of the Beers Atlas, 1866, Town of Glenville, showing the division between Scotia and Reeseville. Many versions of this map are available online.

Photo of 1902 map showing the dead-ends at James and Catharine Streets and the Old Ferry road (dotted) above the lake. Versions of this map are at the Schenectady County Historical Society and at the Schenectady County Public Library.

One view of Scotia in its early years as a suburb. Again, many versions of this photo are available from many sources.

The old Lincoln School, beginning of a series of photos of its demolition in the late 1970s.

Scotia, North Carolina

Scotia, North Carolina

This spring I was traveling in the south and made a slight detour to see the sights in Scotia, North Carolina. Now this is a place that Google Maps knows about, but maps of North Carolina and Tyrrell County don’t seem to have it listed. In fact the only reference I found in my quick research was a record of the will of Eliachim Swain, from Tyrrell County NC, written in 1812. One of his bequests to his children was a 100-acre tract of land “known by the name of Scotia.” Apparently the Swains first came to Nantucket in the 1600s, and at least some of the family moved to North Carolina.

Nevertheless, it turned out to be an interesting spot—not far from Albemarle Sound, just west of Kitty Hawk and Cape Hatteras, and very close to the small town of Columbia. There are only a few houses around, and Scotia Rd., which might have made an appropriate picture, didn’t have a street sign. These views show the rural agricultural area, which sits among the swamplands of eastern NC. Very close by is the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge. There are wetlands and marsh with several types of forest, and lots of water. The many habitats provide homes for a wide variety of species. Wildlife includes black bear, alligator, and the re-introduced red wolf, as well as many different birds, both resident and migratory. You can read more at https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Alligator_River/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife_and_habitat_general_information.html.

 

From the Clippings Collection 1

 

Transcription of this text is below.

[Neil B. Reynolds was the Scotia Historian from 1946-1959. He wrote columns that appeared in the Scotia Journal. He also published articles in the Schenectady Gazette, collected in the book Raw materials of history chosen from sources in the Schenectady County Historical Society: essays related to historic Schenectady and Scotia published in the Schenectady Gazette 1959-1972 by Neil BReynolds ; edited by Elizabeth K. Joyce. It is available at the Schenectady County Public Library.]

Scotia Names and Streets

By Neil B. Reynolds, The Scotia Journal, April 13, 1939

How many Scotia residents know when the first two-room section of the brick schoolhouse on Mohawk Avenue was built? Probably not two in a hundred. Yet the information is there for anyone passing down the street to see. But the writer must admit that, although he attended school there and played in the front yard at recess, he never noticed that evidence until last fall.

Walk a few steps up the driveway of the Colonial Ice Cream plant, stop, and look up at the left half of the front of the building. Set flush with the brick is a white marble tablet.Scarcely noticeable against the white painted wall, it must have stood out plainly when the bricks were their natural red. The tablet bears this legend:
ERECTED A.D. 1870
SCHOOL DIS’T NO. 2
C. H. Toll, J. W. Pangburn Trustees
W. G. Caw, Builder

Caw, Toll, Pangburn—only one of these three names exists in Scotia today, and only that same name, Toll, is preserved in the name of a street.

[This is the spot where the Village Parking Lot is now. See below for photographs of the school and the demolition of Colonial Ice Cream in 1962.]

But the street names of Scotia do preserve memories of other former residents. Glen and Sanders Avenues are obvious. The first settler’s name was Alexander Lindsay Glen, which may account for Lindsay Avenue and Alexander Avenue. Ten Broeck Street is a memorial to the Ten Broeck family, connections of the Sanders. This was originally called Collins Street. The present Collins Street is one of three, or possibly more, named for the Collins family. The others are James Street, for “Jimmy” Collins; Catharine Street, for either his wife or his sister, who were both named Catharine; and probably Root Avenue, for Electa Root Collins, the mother of James. In addition, Lincoln Street was originally Sausse Street, named for Catharine Sausse, wife of James Collins.

McKinney Street [now North Reynolds St.] takes its name from the McKinney family, that for a time lived in the old Reese tavern on the corner. Wyman Street is from the man who developed that part of the Reese property. Reynolds Street is for David Reynolds, who lived at the Hoek. Huston Street is for William Huston, who was a member of the Village Board in the first decade of Scotia’s corporate life. Toll Street cuts through the Malwyck [sic], ancestral home of the Tolls; Marselius Avenue approximates the south boundary of the Marselius farm, on Vley Road; Larkin Street perpetuates the name of an old Scotia family.

Though not named for Scotia residents, the street names in the Mynderse plot have an interesting history. Dr. Herman V. Mynderse, first President of Scotia [now that office is called Mayor], was a great admirer of the writings of Washington Irving. And as all readers of Irving know, his home was called Sunnyside, and one of his best-known works was the History of New York, by the apocryphal Diedrich Knickerbocker. Which accounts for the names of all four streets in this plot.

Several mysteries remain. Who was the John of John Street, the Charles of Charles Street, the Holmes of Holmes Street? What loyal Scot named Wallace and Bruce Streets? What was the origin of the names Engleman, Orlinda, Elliott, and Walton? What ornithologist named Eagle, Hawk, Lark, Robin, and Wren? Who with a passion for arithmetic named the street from First to Sixth?

Do real estate promoters, when they map new developments and assign street names, realize the responsibility they assume? For once a name is fixed, appropriate or outlandish, it goes on practically forever. Schonowe Avenue is still The Dyke to most older residents; to many Erie Boulevard in Schenectady is still The Dock; and there are those who think of Broadway as Center Street, and a few who remember it as Villa Road.

One Hundred Years (+) Ago at the Village Board, Sept.-Oct. 1918

One Hundred Years+ Ago at the Village Board Sept-Oct. 1918

Sept. 2
No quorum, adjourned.

Sept. 4
James Ransom to be reimbursed for whatever expense he may incur going to and from Pumping Station during the vacation of Charles W. Matthews.
Building Committee to have lights repaired on the lower floor of the Village Hall.
Payroll and bills approved.

Sept. 16
The sidewalk laid by D. G. Belcher for the Village is not satisfactory; they promised to make it good but haven’t. The President may take whatever action is necessary to have it completed before the weather is too cold.
Received the resignation of Harry Van Epps as Fire Commissioner.
The Clerk is authorized to purchase necessary equipment to put the Village Sprinkler in working order not to exceed $100.
Mr. A. C. Spitzer, Fire Chief, and Mr. L.M. Burt requested the board if possible get a suitable service flag showing the number of Voluntary Firemen from the village in service of the country. Spitzer and Burt appointed as a committee to choose and purchase one, not to exceed $20 from the special war contingent fund.
Building Committee to investigate removal of buildings from the sewer disposal plant and report back.
Clerk to request Schenectady Illuminating Company to install one new 40 C.P. [candlepower] street lamp at Huston & Second St.
Payroll and bills approved.

Oct. 7
Schenectady Railway Corp applied to the Public Service Commission to increase passenger fares between Schenectady and Scotia, and within the Village of Scotia. The Board believes fares of 8¢ to Schenectady and 6¢ within Scotia “excessive, unreasonable, and wholly disproportionate to the service rendered.” President to file a formal protest and the Village Attorney to appear and present the case to the PSC.
Fireman Motala’s salary to be increased to $90/month beginning October 1, if funds are available.
Matter related to the Village issuing bonds for $2500 to purchase and install a Fire Alarm System in the Village as per vote at the election in March, 1918.
Proposal from Rev. Bard, Rev. Roberts, and Rev. Reynolds requesting the fire whistle be blown at 12:30 [may be 12:00 noon, text not clear] each day as a signal for people to pause and pray for the success of our nation and their allies for an enduring peace. Referred to the Board of Fire Commissioners.
The Board of Fire Commissioners to make a report at the next meeting as to the disposition, if any, of the sorrel team and the black team [horses].
A letter from GE relative to the compensator referred to the Water Committee.
Letter from the Committee of Fire Department members relative to the appointment of a Fire Commissioner read. Reply andrequest they recommend additional names not less than 3.
The bad condition of the crosswalk on Sacandaga Rd. referred to the Superintendent of Streets.
Building Committee to be given power to act in the matter of moving the sewer disposal plant buildings.
Superintendent of Water given power to hire additional man at a salary not to exceed $80/month if there are sufficient funds.
Payroll and bills approved.

Oct. 21
Resignation of F. L. Sturdy from the Board.
Payroll and bills approved.

 

Historic Sign #4

Historic Marker #4

Finding out more about this sign, which stands near the Glen-Sanders Mansion, was surprisingly difficult, and there is more research to do!

Wondering who those Revolutionary officers were, I went to the New York State Archives, where information about all the state signs—date erected, original papers outlining the source material—
is held. After looking at the Schenectady County files, I discovered that the records there only pertain to signs put up by the State Education Department. As you can see, this sign, as well as the one that just says “Mohawk River” are marked “N.Y. State Highway.” I’ve yet to find the person who can tell me where those records might be.

Still curious, I looked a little deeper into the Glen family. During the revolution, the Mansion was occupied by John Sanders and Deborah (Glen) Sanders. As you may know, Deborah was the last Glen to live there. She had two cousins who were officers: John Glen and Henry Glen. They both knew Gen. Philip Schuyler, and there is an unsubstantiated but oft-told story that George Washington may have had tea at the Mansion during one of his visits to Schenectady. (After the war, Henry Glen traveled in 1795 to Cooperstown with Alexander Hamilton.) Both of the Glens appear in letters written to and from the Founding Fathers, including George Washington. Try searching for them at https://founders.archives.gov/ to learn more!

Deborah also had many aunts and they had married into several of the well-known local families. Officers and soldiers with the names of Van Dyck, Lansing, Fonda, Vedder, and Van Eps may well have visited at Deborah’s home.

Though not yet discovering what Revolutionary officers were in the mind of the person writing the text for the historical marker, I did find that there was much opportunity for these visits to have taken place, and that there may be more stories to uncover.

If you know more about these folks and would like to write up a short biography or other story for the blog, please get in touch at historian@villageofscotiany.gov.

One Hundred Years Ago at the Village Board, March-April 1919

One Hundred Years Ago at the Village Board, March-April 1919

March 3
All Treasurer’s business is to be kept and transacted at the Village Hall, by the Village Clerk if the Treasurer is absent. Salary $150 per year.
Village Clerk salary $1500 per year.
A petition with more than 25 signers was presented: That we be annexed to the City of Schenectady. To be submitted to the taxpayers at the annual election on March 18. This is not the proper way to do this, but to give taxpayers a chance to express their opinions, it will be included. The question will ask if the Scotia Board should approach the Common Council of the City of Schenectady about extending their corporate limits to include Scotia.
The Fire Department requests the following on the ballot: Can the Board appropriate $200 annually for support of Volunteer Fire Companies quarters?
Village election to be held March 18 at Village Hall, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Proposition One: Proposition relative to including the Village of Scotia within the corporate limits of the City of Schenectady.
Proposition Two: Proposition authorizing an annual appropriation for use of the volunteer fire companies.
Notice of election and propositions to be posted and published.
Discussion and lists of amounts for the following year for the village funds: Water, Sewer, Street, Drainage Sewer, Fire, Light, and Health.
Total to be raised from taxes: $46, 869.39
Reports accepted as read and placed on file: Light Committee, Board of Fire Commissioners, Finance Committee, VillageTreasurer. 1000 copies of Treasurer’s report to be printed and sent with water bills.
Street Commissioner to be paid $450 per year.
Meeting adjourned.

March 10
A document included with the minutes: a Resolution of Respect from the trustees and people they represent. Sympathy to the family of Dr. Herman V. Mynderse for his great service to the village. [He had died on March 5.]

March 17
Finance Committee report for fiscal year ending Feb. 28, 1919 accepted as read.
Payroll and bills approved.

March 24
Annual Meeting
President: Arthur B. Lawrence
Trustee: Ralph R. Barren
Trustee: Walter W. Miller
Trustee: Jacob Schuler
Trustee: William F. Sneed
Call to order
F. F. Lamboy, Supt. of Water & Sewers and Plumbing Inspector, $1500
Charles W. Matthews, Asst. to Supt. of Water & Sewers, $1300. He will pay rent for house at pumping station at $12.50 per month.
Supt. of Water and Sewers to employ 2 utility men not to exceed $85/month each plus laborers as needed not to exceed $2.75/day for ordinary work and $3.25/day for special work.
Street Commissioner to employ George Keefer as driver of village team at $80/month, plus laborers at 30 cents per hour with special work not to exceed $3/day.
Action deferred on appointment of Village Engineer until next meeting, street Committee to look up candidates.
Appointment of Fire Commissioner deferred for board to investigate.
Schenectady Trust Co. named the official depository; Schenectady Gazette official newspaper.
Village President to be empowered to provide police protection as necessary not to exceed $25/month.
Street Committee given full power to direct Village Engineer to furnish grade stakes.
Safe deposit box will be at Schenectady Trust Co. for another year.
Protect money at Village Hall with burglar insurance of $1000/year.
Board meetings were set for the year.
Street Committee authorized to purchase food for village horses not to exceed $150.
Street Committee to investigate cost of new road scraper as compared to fixing the old one.
Building Committee to have driveway from back door of Village Hall repaired.
Mr. Schuler and Mr. Barren to purchase a horse to mate the sorrel horse now owned not to exceed $250.
Petition for sanitary sewers in Fourth St. renewed by Mrs. Lottie Martin, additional house to be built.
Maurice B. Flinn to be Village Attorney for $800.
President to represent Board at all meetings and conferences connected with great western gateway [new bridge] and look after the interests of the Village.
Standing committees set for the coming year.
Meeting adjourned.

April 7
George W. Hagadorn appointed a Fire Commissioner for a 3-year term.
Schonowee & Mohawk Ave. to Ballston, 7th installment due on street improvement.
Ballston between Mohawk and Washington, 5th installment due for street improvement.
Sen. Yelverton and Assemblyman Davies had section 104-107 of the village law amended (related to assessors); they need to be thanked.
Village Clerk to interview Mr. W.W. Chadsey as Village Engineer.
Clerk to purchase 2 tons of egg coal for Village Hall and get bids for coal for the year.
Sewer Committee authorized to purchase sewer tile needed for this year’s construction [specifications are mentioned] from Higgens & Gilgore as per bid.
Each committee head allowed to spend up to $25 per month without previous Board action.
The appointed committee has purchased a horse from Henry A. Theuner for $200.
Mr. Sneed reports cost of labor to paint the water tower with one coat of graphite paint is $125, approved with cost of paint added.
Water Committee to purchase one barrel of engine oil for the Water Pumping Station.
Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones request water and sewer to be extended into Collins St. to about 200 feet north of James St. To be investigated.
C. P. Sanders and Livingston Sanders request water main extended in Cuthbert St. 50-100 feet to lot of Mr. Menine. To be investigated.
Road grader—more economical to buy new grader of heavier design.
Petition from homeowners on the north side of Second St. between Sacandaga and Root asking for cement sidewalk. Hearing set for May 5.
Payroll and bills approved.

April 21
Richard H. Ogle appointed a Fire Commissioner for 3 years.
Mr. Yelverton and Mr. Davies have been thanked.
Collins St. water main extension about $500, Cuthbert St. about $155, should be done as soon as those houses are to be built. Water Committee is authorized to purchase necessary supplies and install.
Recommendation—Number 2 pump at pumping station should be sent back to factory (Worthington Pump and Machine Corp.) for repairs. Authorized to do so.
Street Committee has road grader estimates from $170 to $600. Authorized to purchase, not to exceed $300.
Supt. of Sewers to lay sanitary sewer in Wallace, Fifth, and Fourth St. This will use most of budget, new requests will need to be private expense or delayed.
Bids for coal received from J.H. Buhrmaster, W.R. Brown, and W.E. Berning. Bid from Berning accepted for 40 tons egg coal for Village Hall, 14 tons stove and chestnut coal for Hook & Ladder building, 4 tons chestnut coal to Water Pumping Station.
W.W Chadsey appointed Village Engineer for the year. $10/day for each day actually spent on Village work. $3.50/day for assistant if necessary.
Report from Chadsey showing completion of Outfall sewer by Ellis P. Edgar, payment made.
President authorized to provide for traffic officer at intersection of Mohawk & Ballston Ave., Saturday afternoons and Sundays during August and other times as necessary at 40 cents per hour, not to exceed $100.
Appointed Village Policemen:
James R. Ransom, Chief of Police
Floyd J. Parks, Stephen A. Metala, J.C.F. DeGraff, Llewellyn Ford, Daniel Smith, John House, Nelson Consaul, Edward Consaul, John T. Snare, William H. Millard, George B. Scrafford, Ensign Reynolds, Arthur Lange, Arthur B. Smith, Harold Snyder.
President will issue certificates of appointment after each has qualified.
Street Commissioner to employ a driver for the second village team at $18/week. Paid for time lost due to weather, but not other causes.
President to purchase any supplies for Village Police officers, not to exceed $30.
Hearing May 19 about petition for sidewalks on Fourth St.
Clerk and Attorney to review Village Ordinances.
Payroll and bills approved.