Broomcorn update, July 4

 

Tallest stalks are about chest high. If you stop by you’ll see that some are much shorter–some spots had to be replanted early on so are a bit younger.

IMG_1791

June Mystery Tool Answer

How do you control something way bigger and stronger than you? With this bull nose ring. The ones on the left are permanently inserted into the nasal septum. The one with the rope, called a bulldog, is a temporary one that can be used with any large animal.

image

June 1916 at the Village Board Meeting

June 5, 1916

[Excerpts selected by the Historian.]

“Bids for furnishing the Village with coal for the season of 1916-17 have been received and whereas they are all the same, therefore be it resolved that the Village Clerk be directed to purchase 36 tons of egg and stove coal, 12 tons of stove and chestnut coal, and 2 tons of chestnut coal, and that the said order be divided equally among the 3 local coal dealers.”
(For more about coal types, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_breaker)

The Village Attorney (and his expenses) are authorized to defend the Board of Assessors in the proceedings brought by the NY Central Railroad protesting their 1916 assessment.

Superintendent of Water to be instructed to move the hydrant in front of the premises of L. Putnam on First St.

Hereafter Frank Betre will receive compensation for any services at $2.25 per day.

Petition received, signed by at least 2/3 of property owners on Hawk St., asking for concrete curbing, cost to be assessed against property owners. Hearing to be held June 19.

John Kehl and Tony Carbone took the privilege of the floor to ask for a water main in Marcellus St.—referred to Water Committee.

Clerk may purchase a filing cabinet and index cards (not to exceed $25) for collection of taxes.

Railway Committee reports that the new stops at Mohawk and Ballston have greatly improved service.

Workmans’ Compensation Act now allows municipal employees, so the Village should insure such employees as the President deems necessary or advisable.

June 19, 1916

Hearing on Hawk St. curbing. The only comment is that the specification should be that the base of the curb is at least 1 foot. Action deferred.

Village Clerk to purchase 5,000 sets of Village vouchers and checks from the Schenectady Trust Company.

New resolution—instead of one board meeting a month there will now be two. The Board of Health will meet once a month.

(Other action during June involved the bonds issued to pay for sewer work.)

June 26, 1916, Special Meeting

Annual tax levy is set at $1.50 per $100 assessment, to raise $27,077.46.
This will cover expenses as follows:
General Fund                 $7564.90
Water.                               1825.61
Sewer                                 6407.83
Street                                 4900.19
Drainage Sewer               1606.85
Fire                                    1326.12
Light                                  2543.63
Health                                 902.83

Nelson Toll, Treasurer, reported on all the people who had not paid their assessments for street work (Mohawk, Schon-o-we [sic], and Ballston). These will be added to the 1916 bills, with interest added.

The Water Committee is to tell GE that their proposition (requested previously by the Village) for installation of an automatic control system at the Scotia Pumping Station was rejected as impracticable at this time.

The President was authorized to enter into a contract with the Pittsburg Meter Co. for water meters and connections, as needed, at $9.40 each.

Mystery Tool Answer

The device is a cavatelli (pasta) maker. It cuts the dough, rolls it up, and makes the lines on the outside. It is marked Vitantonio Mfg, Cleveland, Ohio. That company was founded in Cleveland in 1906. Producing nice-looking pasta apparently takes more practice and maybe altering the dough slightly!

image

100 Years Ago at the Village Board

100 Years Ago at the Village Board Meeting

[A monthly feature of excerpts from the Village Board minutes. A full transcription of all board minutes is digitized, and those wishing to see the complete records may contact the Historian or the Village Clerk.]

In 1916, the Village elections took place on March 21, and the Annual Meeting was on Marcb 27. Elected for the coming year: John E. Gillette, President (now called the Mayor); Trustees—Frank H. Field, Stanley E. Ford, Augustus H. Lasher, LeRoy R. Wood.

Nelson Toll was named Treasurer and E. Crosby Hoyt was Village Clerk.
Standing Committees were Finance, Water, Sewers & Buildings, Lights & Railroads, and Streets.

May 5, 1916

[Excerpts selected by the Historian.]

Four bids for Sanitary Sewer construction were opened and the President authorized to contract with Edward J. O’Brien. Bid was for $5133.30

This sewer was to run from the intersection of Sacandaga & Swan Street, through Swan Street to Lark, through Lark to Holmes, through Holmes to present sewer in Mohawk Ave.

The Village Treasurer was authorized to purchase a table for the Village Office, cost not to exceed $15.

George Keefer was appointed as driver of the Village team at $60 per month.

Two petitions were read—one for the improvement of Sacandaga Rd. between Mohawk and Toll, and one to improve Hawk St. with curbing. These to be considered at future meeting.

Approval for cost of material and construction of manhole in the sanitary sewer at 5th and Root.

A petition requested stops of the cars of the Schenectady Railway Co. at Mohawk & Ballston to be changed back to the old place—referred to the Railroad Committee.

The Building Committee will have the outside woodwork of the Village Hall painted.

As at each meeting, a list of bills to be paid was entered and approved.

Rhododendrons in Bloom

The Flint House finally has a little color! The azaleas and magnolia failed to bloom because of cold weather in early spring, but these did fine.

image

Flint House Garden

This year’s broomcorn and flax has been planted. The broomcorn is in rows, and the flax seed is spread to grow in one big patch. The plot is at the edge of the community gardens nearest the dog park fence, so be sure to check it out when you are over by the Flint House.IMG_1286XX1X