100 Years Ago at the Village Board Meeting
[A monthly feature of excerpts from the Village Board minutes. A full transcription of all board minutes is digitized, and those wishing to see the complete records may contact the Historian or the Village Clerk.]
In 1916, the Village elections took place on March 21, and the Annual Meeting was on Marcb 27. Elected for the coming year: John E. Gillette, President (now called the Mayor); Trustees—Frank H. Field, Stanley E. Ford, Augustus H. Lasher, LeRoy R. Wood.
Nelson Toll was named Treasurer and E. Crosby Hoyt was Village Clerk.
Standing Committees were Finance, Water, Sewers & Buildings, Lights & Railroads, and Streets.
May 5, 1916
[Excerpts selected by the Historian.]
Four bids for Sanitary Sewer construction were opened and the President authorized to contract with Edward J. O’Brien. Bid was for $5133.30
This sewer was to run from the intersection of Sacandaga & Swan Street, through Swan Street to Lark, through Lark to Holmes, through Holmes to present sewer in Mohawk Ave.
The Village Treasurer was authorized to purchase a table for the Village Office, cost not to exceed $15.
George Keefer was appointed as driver of the Village team at $60 per month.
Two petitions were read—one for the improvement of Sacandaga Rd. between Mohawk and Toll, and one to improve Hawk St. with curbing. These to be considered at future meeting.
Approval for cost of material and construction of manhole in the sanitary sewer at 5th and Root.
A petition requested stops of the cars of the Schenectady Railway Co. at Mohawk & Ballston to be changed back to the old place—referred to the Railroad Committee.
The Building Committee will have the outside woodwork of the Village Hall painted.
As at each meeting, a list of bills to be paid was entered and approved.