Thank you for your interest in the Scotia Police Department. In order to become a Village of Scotia Police Officer you must start by taking the Schenectady County Civil Service Test. This test is usually given in December.
The Village of Scotia Police Department is comprised of 13 sworn officers and one civilian administrative clerk.
Scotia Officers are trained at the Zone 5 Regional Law Enforcement in Schenectady. After completing the 24-week program the officers begin a 12-week in-service program under the guidance of a field training officer.
Minimum Requirements for Police Officer
(Check Civil Service Announcement)
Candidates must be legal residents of Schenectady, Albany, Schoharie, Montgomery or Saratoga County for at least one month immediately preceding the date of the examination. Preference in certification for appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been residents of the municipality in which appointment is to be made for at least one month immediately proceeding the date of certification and at the time of appointment.
Graduation from High School or the possession of a high school equivalency diploma issued by a state education authority, or possession of a United States Armed Forces GED Certificate, or possession of a comparable diploma as described in section 58 of the New York State Civil Service Law andsuccessful completion of 30 credit hours at a regionally accredited or New York State Registered college of university.
Candidates must be at least nineteen (19) years of age on or before the date of the exam and must have reached his/her twentieth (20) birthday to be certified eligible for appointment. Candidates who reach their 35th Birthday on or before the date of the written examination are not qualified except as follows: Candidates may have a period of Military duty or terminal leave up to six years, as defined in section 243 (10-a) of the Military Law, deducted from their age for the purpose of meeting the age requirement.
Candidates must be in possession of a valid New York State driver license at the time of appointment and maintain such license throughout the tenure of employment.
NOTE: Conviction of a felony WILL bar appointment, and conviction of a misdemeanor or other offense MAY bar appointment.
Candidates are required to satisfactorily complete oral interview board, medical exam, psychological examination, physical fitness screening and background investigation.
Candidates will be required to successfully complete a twenty-four (24) week police academy and a twelve (12) week in-service program.
As of June 1, 2008
- Eleven (11) holidays a year either take a day off or receive pay.
- Time and one-half if you work the holiday.
- 2 weeks after one year
- 3 weeks after 5 years
- 3 weeks plus one additional day for each full year after the tenth.
- Five (5) personal days per year.
Hospitalization and Medical
- The Village makes available the CDPHP AttentiCare™ EPO 15 plan with a number of Riders.
- For an employee hired before June 1, 2006 the Village will pay ninety percent of the monthly premium for individual, two-person, or family health coverage.
- For an employee hired on or after June 1, 2006, the Village will pay eighty five percent of the monthly premium for the individual, two-person, or family health insurance coverage.
- If the employee does not need medical coverage the village will pay him/her $1200 per year.
- Retirement benefits include half pay after 25 years of service plus an additional 1/60 added for each year after 25 OR
- Half pay after 20 years with no 1/60 provision.
- Six hundred and twenty-five dollars ($625) upon their fifth anniversary and an additional one hundred and twenty-five dollars ($125) for each additional year of continuous service completed as of each employee’s anniversary date until the employee leaves employment.
|Position||June 1, 2008 to May 31, 2009|
|Entry Level 1||$36,813|
Officers working the evening shift (4 pm to Midnight) receive an additional 1.5% and Officers working the night shift (Midnight to 8 am) receive an additional 2.5 %.