The History of the Scotia Police Department as stated in the “Book of Remembrances” published June 18th 1976 for the Bicentennial Celebration
When the Village of Scotia was first incorporated in 1904 with Dr. Herman Mynderse as president, there was no police force. There were only special appointed officers and constables. John Miller followed Dr. Mynderse as president of the Village. He appointed Daniel Smith as night watchman. This job was abolished after the expiration of Miller’s term.
There were no regular paid policemen in Scotia until 1920. In 1917, Floyd J. Parks was given a job as utility man with the Village of Scotia. He worked 24 hour duty and sleeping in, with one day off a month. This man worked in the police department, fire department, and water department; read water meters, painted fire hydrants, rode a motorcycle and acted as a general policeman.
The first vehicle of the police department was a motorcycle, owned by Parks himself.
At that time, James Ranson was chief of the volunteer police department; through him minstrel shows were produced and enough money was secured to buy a typewriter, desk, fingerprint equipment, and keep the motorcycle in repairs, gas and oil. The police department ran until 1920, with funds from minstrel shows. There was no such thing as a police budget.
In 1920, A.B. Lawrence was elected president of the Village of Scotia. He decided to have a police department, and appointed Parks as the first policeman. A motorcycle was purchased by the Village and a budget for the police department was set up. Within a few years, the police department increased to four men.
“Monty” De Graff was a special constable and truant officer during World War l, and did special duty as director of traffic on the corner of Ballston and Mohawk Avenues on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. At one time he made arrangements with the merchants to go around nights and try their doors for 25 cents to 50 cents a week. This was his only compensation.
After De Graff, Howard Smith took over and was one of the first permanent men on the police force. Phil Kline, Murray Delworth, and George Tripp were the other three members added to the first police force. The first vehicle other than a motorcycle to be purchased was a Chevrolet Coach, secured in 1922 or 1923.
On April 10, 1931 William F. Cassidy was appointed Police Chief of Scotia, after resigning from the New York State Police. Chief Cassidy retired in 1953 and John Quinlin was appointed chief, a post which he held until his death February 22, 1972.
In 1954 the department had eleven men and was increased to thirteen in October, 1957. April 1968 brought the appointment of Leo Strong Jr. as Deputy Chief, until the death of Chief Quinlin when he was appointed Chief. On April 15, 1972, Charles Myers was appointed Deputy Chief until he retired in June 1974. Sgt. William Stearns was appointed Deputy Chief on June 22, 1974.
Leo Strong Jr. held the Chief’s position until he retired September 1, 1976. William C. Stearns took over following Chief Strong’s retirement and he held the position until his retirement on August 1, 1981. William Benosky was promoted to Deputy Chief serving under Chief Stearns. When Chief Sterns retired D/C Benosky was then promoted to chief. John Loffredo served as Deputy Chief while William Benosky was chief. On August 6, 1994 Chief Benosky retired. John Loffredo served as Acting Chief until his retirement on October 31, 1994. Police Captain Paul F. Boyarin from the Schenectady Police Department became the next Chief for the Village of Scotia on November 1, 1994. John Pytlovany was promoted to Deputy Chief on January 20, 1995 . Chief Boyarin retired on June 14, 1997 and was succeeded by D/C Pytlovany who served until his retirement in February 2010. Sergeant Thomas Rush became acting chief in March 2010 and served in that capacity until the current chief, Peter Frisoni, was appointed in September 2011.