Andrew Kohout, Superintendent
Cathy Busher, Typist
4 Zoar Court
Scotia, New York 12302
To comment on either Report or the Storm Water Management Plan contact the Department of Public Works at 518-393-2159.
Annual Curbside Loose Leaf Pick Up:
The annual collection of loose leaves has ended for the season. Loose leaf collection will resume mid-October, 2018. Please reference yard waste collection requirements below.
Yard Waste Collection (separate from loose leaf pick up):
Regular yard waste collection has resumed and will continue, weather permitting, until Thursday, December 6, 2018. Yard waste will be picked up on your regular trash collection day.
The rules and regulations are as follows:
- Yard Waste shall mean residential or commercial leaf waste, lawn clippings and brush. Receptacle requirements: grass, leaves, hedge clippings and twigs shall be in either 30 gallon compostable paper bags or a maximum 30 gallon rigid and water proof receptacle with handles and lid and clearly marked Yard Waste.
- Either receptacle must not exceed 60 pounds. Loose yard waste, consisting of brush and tree branches that are 4 inches or less in diameter, 4 feet or less in length and weigh less than 60 pounds must be bundled and tied. Brush and limbs, over 4 feet long and 4 inches in diameter, and any stumps must be disposed of by the property owner.
Bulk Item Pick-Up
1. Check if item you wish to dispose of is on the list below:
Washers & Dryers
Hot Water Heaters
Lawnmowers & Snowblowers (empty of all gas and oil)
Grills (propane tank removed)
Dehumidifiers & Air Conditioners
Refrigerators & Freezers
2. Buy a sticker at the Village Clerk’s Office – Stickers are $5.00 and non-refundable
3. Place the sticker on the item and place it at the curb for pick up
To avoid confusion, please do not place items out on your normal trash collection day.
4. Call the Department of Public Works at 393-2159 so we know to pick up
Items that will not be picked up include but are not limited to:
Furnaces & Boilers
Swing Sets & Playground Equipment
Cabinets and Countertops
Tires and Other Car Parts
Items that can be disposed of with weekly household garbage include:
Wooden Furniture Excluding Sleeper Sofas
Mattresses & Box Springs
Please contact the Schenectady County Conservation District (399-6980) or the City of Schenectady Transfer Station (374-1124) for more information on disposal of other large appliances.
Rules and regulations for trash and recyclable collection
Services shall include:
- Non recycling solid waste, up to 90 gallons per week placed in receptacles of maximum 40 gallon size. Each receptacles must not exceed 50 lbs.
- Recyclable tin, plastic and glass, newspapers, magazines and other paper products may all be placed in the same receptacle of maximum 40 gallon size. Receptacle must not exceed 50 lbs. and should be labeled with a sticker available at the Department of Public Works or Village Hall.
- Recyclable corrugated cardboard, up to ½ cubic yard per week, boxes must be broken down, bundled and tied.
- Services shall be provided to each service location once per week, with up to one furniture item per week per residential unit.
NOTE: Normal weekly services shall not include:
- Bulk waste,
- hazardous waste,
- construction and demolition debris,
- more than one piece of furniture per week or furniture with metal (ex. sofabeds),
- white goods,
- car parts,
- yard waste,
- brush or garden vegetation, except when otherwise specified.